3.12.12

Never Say Never: Musicals Edition (Or How I Learned to Love the Classics)

I'm not a (true) Belieber* and I know it's a cliché, but that saying rings true to me.
It goes way back to when you were a young'un...
Mom: Have some of this.
Wee You: I don't like it.
Mom: But you haven't even tried it.
Wee You: Yeah, but I know I won't like it.

Years later you try whatever food that was only to discover it is delicious.
Be it olives, tamales, figs, asparagus, mole, etc, etc....
Needless to say, I was a picky eater.

But what does all this have to do with musicals, you say?
So freakin' much!

I've been a fan of musicals for as long as I can remember (thanks to my Disney upbringing**). 
I jam to show tunes (well, to music in general) in my car, in my room, on the street- you name it.

Up to a couple of weeks ago I was anti- Phantom of the Opera and anti-Les Miserables.
I'd seen both Mexican productions back in my teens and came out thinking, "Meh. What's the big deal". Production-wise I remember they were superb- especially considering Mexico still wasn't big on Musicals/Theater back then- it was just the music that didn't do it for me.

The year is 2012. The month, December.
Ah, how life has changed!
I watched both 25th Anniversary Performances (of Les Mis & Phantom) and I confess I teared up on various occasions.

I'll let the videos do the talking....

[ Let's just pretend Nick Jonas wasn't cast in this ]

Also. Bring Him Home (aka The Prayer),  you kill me.

Sierra Boggess is PHENOMENAL.
And Ramin Karimloo. And Hadley Fraser. 
SO good.

-End of Fangirling-
*clears throat*

Do you like musicals? Which are your fave? What are your favorite numbers?
Have you ever changed your mind about something?
(Tell me more, tell me more....)

And will you be rushing to the Big Screen come Christmas Day to watch Les Miserables?



* Although I credit the Biebs with talent because, well, he does have it. The kid can dance. He can sing. He can play instruments. That's more than most pop stars can do nowadays... Actually, I'm surprised he hasn't done a musical. At least not yet anyway...
** I still have my Disney Sing Along VHS tapes

No comments:

Post a Comment